Hosted by Second Institute of Oceanography (SIO), Ministry of Natural Resources, P.R.C. and organized by the State Key Laboratory of Satellite Ocean Environment Dynamics (SOED), “International Training course on Ocean Color Remote Sensing and Three-Dimensional Monitoring Technologies (SatCO2-Ⅴ)” will be held in Hangzhou, China during 18-26, July, 2023.
After decades of development, a series of remote sensing products are widely used in marine multidisciplinary research. Considering most ocean remote sensing data are freely accessible, the data processing applications and technologies are perfectly applicable in developing countries as a prior technology for ocean observation.
In order to use ocean remote sensing data in a convenient and efficient manner, promote the multidisciplinary applications of remote sensing data, and integrate remote sensing data, products, applications and service, the SOED has developed the "Marine Satellite Data Online Analysis Platform" (referred to as "SatCO2 Platform"), which is capable to obtain massive multi-sourced online remote sensing among other observations, conduct efficient calculation and analysis on a visualized 3D spheres.
Focusing on the SatCO2 platform, the SOED has successfully hosted four international workshops and training courses, including the 2018 the International Training Workshop on Marine Satellite Remote Sensing and Argo Monitoring Technologies (Sat-Argo) and the 2019 IOCCG Advanced Training Course on Ocean Color Remote Sensing. These international training courses promoted the cutting-edge remote sensing technology, and also enhanced the mutually beneficial collaborations between China and other countries in Asia and Africa.
In 2023, the SatCO2-Ⅴ training course plans to enroll the trainees from developing countries. The objectives of this training course are: 1) to provide training in remote sensing technologies to researchers and staffs in the field of marine sciences, building a multilateral communication mechanism in marine ecosystem monitoring between China and other countries in Africa and Asia; 2) to enhance multi-level cooperation and exchanges, and to promote the usage of Chinese ocean satellite data; 3) to expand the application of China's remote sensing and reanalysis products in the developing countries, and to improve the reliability and accuracy of observational and reanalysis products.
2. Main Activities
The curriculum of the training course is listed as the following (the detailed agenda can be found in the appendix):
1) Principles of remote sensing with marine satellites;
2) Satellite data collection, processing and algorithm development;
3) Remote sensing applications in coastal regions;
4) Introduction of marine ecosystem model;
5) Introduction of the International Argo Project and data processing, quality control and applications of Argo floats;
1) Data acquisition, processing, quality control, mapping and case study of Argo data;
2) Introduction of marine instrument and hands-on training in field work;
3) Acquisition, processing, inversion and application of satellite data;
——Sino-African Forum on Marine Science and Technology;
All trainees are invited to participate in the Sino-African Forum on Marine Science and Technology, which will be held in Hangzhou, China from July 25 to 26, 2023. The forum aims to upgrade the cooperative level between China and Africa, with the vision of promoting the marine cooperation between China and African countries.
——Discussion and Q & A Sessions;
1) The trainees will be invited to introduce current conditions and demands of ocean observation and research in their own countries;
2) Q & A sessions on the training course and the related topics;
3. Enrollment and Application
1) Enrollment planning: The training course will recruit approximately 20 trainees, e.g., junior scientists, postdoctoral fellows and marine management staffs from developing countries, especially from countries in Africa.
2) Transportation, meals and lodging: the meals and lodging expenses in Hangzhou during the training course will be offered and the cost will be covered by organizer, yet participants should pay for their own round trip flight tickets to Hangzhou. Outstanding trainees will be selected for award fellowship that can cover the international flight tickets for the candidates.
3) Application procedure: if you are interested in attending the training course, please send the completed application form, and a Curriculum Vitae (in English) to Ms. Ruikai Hou via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) before May 26, 2023.
The steering committee of the organizer will review the applications and send the offer no later than May 31, 2023.
If you have any question about the application or any further information, please do not hesitate to contact Ms. Ruikai Hou (email@example.com).